On Saturday, 8/18, Feral Fixers was invited to participate in the Clear the Shelters Adoption Event at DuPage County Animal Services (DCAS) in Wheaton. Two other animal rescues (Underdog Railway Rescue & Bunnies United Network) also participated. Attendance was a bit lighter than anticipated, likely due to the number of other shelters participating in Clear The Shelters. But there was a steady flow of foot traffic throughout the day, adoptions were completed to pre-approved adopters, and several new adoption applications were accepted.
DCAS graciously allowed us use of their mobile veterinary van to house and display our adoptable cats & kittens. This was quite a treat, as the van is air conditioned and beautifully appointed with a number of cages which can be viewed through plexiglass windows outside the van as well as accessed inside the van. So our cats & kittens enjoyed air conditioned comfort and our guests could preview our featured kittens prior to completing an application and coming to meet them in person.
11 kittens (Wendie, Weiko, Allison, Jabiru, Kingfisher, Finch, York, Onion, Duckie, Falcon, Pipit) and 2 adult cats (Amber, EboniOnyx) were the stars of our show. Everyone was very friendly and engaging with our guests. EboniOnyx and Onion enjoyed talking to us and each other across the aisle in the van.
- 2 kittens went home during the event to pre-approved adopters. 4 additional applications received during the event have been approved and visits/adoptions are scheduled this week. Pipit went home with a family from Glen Ellyn. She was selected by their 7 yr old daughter and we have heard that they are sleeping buddies already.
- Allison won the heart of a couple from Glendale Heights and went home with them on Saturday. Having previously lost a dog, Allison will be their one and only fur buddy.
- Jabiru was the pick of a young couple from Monee. He will be a companion for their 5 month old female kitten. Their application was approved and the adoption is being scheduled.
- Amber, our sweet 1 yr old girl, captured the attention of a family from Oswego. She will have 2 other cat companions in her home. Their application was approved and the adoption is being scheduled.
- Wiggles and Willa, while not at the event, were later visited by a family who submitted an application at the event. The kittens captured their heart and interacted well with their children. This adoption occurred on Wednesday.
- Victor or Bruce are the choices of a couple from Schaumburg who submitted an application at the event which was subsequently approved. A visit with Victor is scheduled for Friday.
- In addition, EboniOnyx found a forever home with his foster mom in Lisle, who decided she could not part with him after the event. There is also an approved adopter for Wendie and Weiko who is schedule to meet them later this week.
- Since our adoption event just one week prior, Schooner, Sail, Tucker, and Salsa & Saltine have also been adopted. Lots to celebrate!
Many thanks to the volunteers and fosters who made the event possible (Sara, Bonnie, Diane, Steve & Michelle, Rita, Candy, Laurel, Gillian, Pam, Kaitlyn & Catherine). It was a hot day and a new venue with some uncertainty regarding what to expect. But set-up and clean-up were a breeze and everything went smoothly, thanks to our seasoned team of dedicated, knowledgeable and cooperative volunteers who do a great job of representing Feral Fixers - thank you!
Special thanks for all of the other valuable contributions which made the event a success - to Candy for the photography during the event; to Connie, Stephanie and Ted for promoting the event on our Facebook page and web site; to Mike and Debbie for the updates to the Adoptable Cats & Kittens binder and board; to Diane for transporting Kaitlyn's kittens to the event; to Sara for help with the laundry.
We have a number of upcoming adoption and adoption-related events scheduled in August & September:
- Saturday, 8/25 - Pints for Paws Fundraiser & Adoption Promotion event, sponsored by Two Bostons, at the Crosstown Bar and Grill located at 909 E. Ogden Ave in Naperville from 12noon-2pm. We will be showcasing just a few of our out-going kittens at this event.
- Saturday, 9/8 - Adoption Event at Pet Supplies Plus located at 720 E. Ogden Ave. in Naperville from 11am-4pm.
- Saturday or Sunday, 9/15 or 9/16 - PetSmart National Adoption Weekend at PetSmart located at 63 Rice Lake Square in Wheaton from 11am-4pm.
- Saturday, 9/22 - Two Bostons Adopt-A-Rama at Two Bostons located at 2523 W 75th St in Naperville from 12noon to 3pm.
Please mark your calendars and plan to attend.